Carly Lorntsen

Education 405 Exit Ticket: Why do teachers need digital citizenship and how can they be good digital citizens?

Thinking about the term digital citizenship, I think of using technology effectively in a respectful manner. When an individual posts something of any kind to the internet, they should be aware that they will have an outstanding number of audience members whether it be individuals known to them or complete strangers. As I post this blog post, I know for certain that there will be people I have never met reading my post. Digital citizenship is about respectfully engaging and connecting with others online, a way to strengthen your community, promote your own views and opinions, and possibly having your voice heard by public leaders. Teachers need digital citizenship simply because they can lead by example for upcoming teachers, work as a collaborating team with other teachers in how to create stronger school environments, and much more. When I began the Bachelor of Education program in September of 2021, my professors introduced the idea of creating a professional Twitter account and I was at first uncertain about pursuing this but almost five months later, I am so glad that I did. I have witnessed many educators across the world demonstrate exemplary digital citizenship and it has motivated me to continue my time on Twitter. I love connecting with people across the world on Twitter that have the same interests as me in regards to education and I have had the opportunity to see some snapshots of what some experienced teacher’s careers look like. I have a huge interest in writing as well and find that I could connect with some publishers on Twitter to possibly help me in publishing my first book. Digital citizenship is a very professional quality to have and it can help you grow as an individual and take you to places that you never imagined you would go. It is definitely essential that teachers hold strong digital citizenship.