Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

Life Writing as Transformative Praxis: Demonstrating Standard Nine in Practicum

Carly Lorntsen

University of Northern British Columbia

EDUC 446: Aboriginal and Indigenous Education

Karine Veldhoen

December 6, 2022

As I reflect upon my lived experiences throughout my four-week formative practicum, I feel a variety of emotions that consist of happiness, pride, inspiration, encouragement, and dedication. Through a copious number of hours, days, and weeks of lesson planning and some stressful moments to have my lessons just perfect, I came to the realization that having the best and polished lesson plans is not what being a teacher is about. In fact, ensuring that one is participating in self-care to achieve a strong mental wellbeing for oneself and one’s students to create a sense of place in the classroom that indeed focuses on connectedness and powerful reciprocal relationship building is what symbolizes the art of teaching. As I am still growing and learning as a student teacher, I can simply recognize that teaching all core subject areas and helping students understand to the best of our abilities is essential but as educators and in my lived practicum experience, I believe that it is our duty to ensure that all students feel safe and valued in the classroom to be placed on the road for success. My personal teaching philosophy has always centered on relationship building and ensuring that every student feels a sense of guidance, connection, and love. These are three significant components that children must feel in their lives to create their sense of belonging, self-esteem, and self-efficacy.

During my practicum, I worked incredibly hard at forming a relationship with each individual student in my practicum class. I learned about passions, hobbies, favorite colors, family members, and even their favorite meals and what snacks they like to indulge in when they arrive home from school. In the midst and chaos of being a student teacher, one never recognizes the impact and difference that one is making until one receives frequent letters by students that say words such as, “please do not leave us” or hearing the words of “guess what I was doing at the dinner table last night, Ms. Lorntsen? I was practicing and showing my parents how you taught me all about subtraction”. Through the First Peoples Principles of Learning, these are just some snapshots of how all learning ultimately supports the well-being of the self, the family, the community, the land, the spirits, and the ancestors through this calming and delicate opportunity to foster a rich learning environment that is filled with patience, safety, encouragement and risk-taking over time.

On November 25th, I was offered the opportunity to attend a non-instructional Circle of Courage Day event at my old local high school. I was granted the experience of listening to Kevin Lamoureux present his expertise regarding Indigenous approaches to spiritual and mental health that solely benefits all students and addresses the TRC Calls to Action as he referenced his phenomenal book Ensouling Our Schools: A Universally Designed Framework for Mental Health, Well-being, And Reconciliation. Kevin Lamoureux’s speech about the Circle of Courage model was highly inspirational as he explored the need for a sense of belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity to ensure positive youth development. Afterwards, I attended a Circle of Courage workshop that was hosted by Doreen L’Hirondelle as it focused on Indigenous culture and the meaning behind the four concepts of belonging, mastery, independence, and generosity. I shared the circle with various educators and had the opportunity to watch videos and discuss our thoughts about the core symbolism of the Circle of Courage. For myself, this day helped solidify my drive and passion to becoming a teacher. Through this day and throughout my entire practicum, I learned the lesson that when a child is having problems with self-regulation and acting out in frustration, anger, sadness, or other extreme emotions, this means that one of the child’s needs are being unmet. Therefore, as teachers, we must put the student and their wellbeing as priority number one before we begin the learning process. After this session, it had me reflecting about a student in my practicum class that expressed to me how he does not enjoy school and does not like doing any work. I will admit that I was unsure of what to do and how to get his energy levels, drive, and determination at higher levels. After attending the Indigenous Focus Day and Circle of Courage session, I had an extremely meaningful talk with him and spent some time as he worked on some poetry for me. During my last day of practicum, he was working so incredibly hard at the work I had expected him to complete, and he said that he enjoyed it. As the day progressed further, he asked me if he could present his science project first, so that I could see his work before I officially leave. At this point, I was feeling so incredibly proud of him and in that moment, I felt that I was exactly where I needed to be in life. In addition to this, he had approached me after school and said that he will miss me. I did not expect this from him as he had expressed his hate for school and the work that comes along with it just a few days earlier. After learning about the Circle of Courage more in depth, I recognized that he did not have a hate for school, but one or more critical wellbeing and spiritual needs were being unmet. I was extremely happy and relieved to leave my practicum class with each student granting me with the impression that they are eager, determined, and excited to learn more as every one of these students’ circles of courage is flourishing. The opportunity of being exposed to Aboriginal and Indigenous Education courses throughout the Bachelor of Education Program has ultimately strengthened my worldviews and desire to becoming a teacher. According to Hanson, McLeod, and Ross (2017), “Indigenous approaches to education through the First Peoples Principles of Learning contain creative messages to revitalize teaching and learning through community service, learning about cultural roots, and learning to honor relationships beyond nature” (p. 96). Throughout my lived practicum experiences, I placed great value on the weaving and braiding together of deeper philosophical and spiritual meaning through rich Indigenous perspectives and education.