Carly Lorntsen

My Personal Teaching Philosophy

Education 346: Aboriginal and Indigenous Education

University of Northern British Columbia

March 23, 2022,

Every individual on planet Earth needs guidance, connection, and love. This particularly needs to begin during the first stages of life and development while continuing indefinitely. Without a sense of guidance, connection, and love, all living beings will feel utterly lost and alone. As you look in nature, it is the same for animals. For example, baby ducks follow in line behind mother duck, and baby deer follow in line behind mother deer. If these beautiful creatures had an absence of guidance, connection, and love, they would feel lost in this world. It is the exact same way for children in that guidance, connection, and love must be felt in their lives to build their sense of belonging, self-esteem, and self-efficacy.

I was always a soft-spoken child. Through the support of my grandparents, I learned about the importance of generational relationships and the need to feel a sense of belonging. I am now fulfilling my dream of becoming an elementary school teacher! These supportive relationships will serve as the basis of my teaching philosophy. Through my own education, I see the importance of relationships and belonging, and I wish to foster this in my future classroom for my students. With my recognition of the importance of reassurance, faith, security, and encouragement and what these themes will do for a child, I feel that as a future teacher, it is my responsibility that all students and their mental health are placed as a top priority. I believe that learning will only occur if significant relationships are made along the way, and I am exceptionally grateful to have the opportunity to become a part of the most rewarding profession that this world has ever seen.